Monday, February 2, 2015

Feb 1-2 Sunday and Monday

It's always interested me how each trip I ever take tends to develop its own theme. Some have been fun and exciting, but there was one that took on the theme of death and sadness.  This one seems to be taking on the theme of adventure! From driving in Thailand to riding (a lot) on a moto in Cambodia, to walking the streets by myself in BB and engaging people on my own here, to riding a moto with a 20+ lb backpack on my back, to having my hair shampooed (this is a 30 minute appointment and you have no idea), to having nail art put on nails (twice because after she was finished the first time, she decided it was the wrong color and started over) to venturing out with a woman who doesn't speak a whole lot of English when I speak very little Khmer and spending a good part of the day together (sign language and laughter abound).

This trip has also given me the opportunity to see more of what it would take to live here.  I see more of the daily schedules and struggles of both missionaries and our Cambodian Grace Place staff. Imagine going to the market on a moto and buying food for 30 people, putting that on your moto and heading back to prepare lunch every day. I also see more of the opportunities that are here to help people succeed in life and of course, to hear about Jesus.

Worship was awesome as usual with the kids, but one missionary family from Canada that I know here told me how difficult it is to not worship in English and have Bible teaching in English for their own spiritual growth.  So, they found a church service in English to be a part of.  Yes, it is fun to be with the kids, but I can see, having been here several times now, the importance of studying the Bible with others of the same language.  This is very true if you only speak English well and not the other language you are in. It is also good to learn how people in other cultures understand the Bible through their culture.  It makes me see how sometimes we interpret the Bible through American eyes instead of God's eyes and even understanding culture through God's eyes.

Well, I am sitting the airport at Siam Reap, Cambodia, awaiting my delayed flight back to Thailand. I have one more week with Faa and so much work to do. Pray as I once again switch gears in my brain and languages and culture and to be able to finish my next week all there if you know what I mean.

Also pray for Sambo.  He has started a second school and has 10 students to start.  He is looking for 200 children to come to the Christian school. He is also trying to raise money for the gov't school in his village grade 7-12 to give them a library.  He feels if he can do this for the school, they will let him come in once a week for English classes.  He is looking for an in with these kids that will eventually lead to the Gospel. He needs $1500. He already is working with a ministry that is going to provide the books, but the room they are offering him needs some work and then book shelves and things.

Ok, I can't get my pictures on here right now, so I will try later. I am about ready to strangle all these English speakers who are badgering this poor airline worker about our delayed flight.  Really????  Ugh, what is with people?  The poor man needs to make a sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment