Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday, Jan 30

I've been traveling for a couple of days and no time or internet to blog, but I am in Cambodia now for a short visit to our Grace Place family here and to also see Jill and Kevin Kane, Gary and Lois Engelhard and a family I know here from Canada. So lots to do in a few days.

Wednesday Faa, Ning and I traveled back down to Chiang Mai. They know a lady who runs like a production studio and produces Christian material.  We met her interns, all American young people, and enjoyed, what else, but food together (snack). I asked the video guy for a few more pointers on video taping because my shots the day before were a little shaky. I think it was too much coffee. Ok, no coffee before the next soot with Faa. I am trying to get footage that can be used to create a new video to submit to FGBC for conference. YIKES, me behind the camera.

Faa and  I then met up with a couple of young ladies living in the DC area.  They work with trafficked women in the US and decided they needed to see the trafficking capitol of the world. What a delightful couple of young ladies.  Their heart for God and bubbly spirits are so encouraging to see among young Christian adults.  I hope to connect with one of them when she travels to the Columbus area.

Thursday morning I hopped on a plane and began my journey to Battambang. I was amazed at the number of nationalities traveling to Cambodia.  It seems to be more and more a place people want to visit.  My entry into the airport in Seim  Reap was fun.  You wait in a long line to get into the building, but when you arrive at the door, they hand you one more paper to fill out.  You already received 3 on the plane.  Then they told you to step aside, complete it and get back at the end of the line.  Well that went over well, especially with the Westerners. Not very efficient.  Then the line to receive a VISA was crazy too, but it gave me an opportunity to meet many people, some form the US, one from Canada and one from Switzerland.  I had the opportunity to share why I was in Cambodia and what our church is involved in. Finally, over one hour later, I made it to the luggage pick up.  That surprisingly took awhile too.  Poor Sambo had been waiting for me for over 1 1/2 hours. He was getting concerned about me. So we got a later start than I wanted, but no problem. After all, this is Cambodia.

Ok, I know I have most of you fooled into thinking I am just some adventurous person, but I have to admit, belong in Cambodia without a set agenda or phone at the moment, by myself is a little nerve racking. I don't know whether to be concerned that people keep asking me if I am here by myself or if they are just being their friendly Cambodian selves. I think the latter, but as an American, it still makes you cautious. I feel completely safe here though, so don't worry.

Today, I hope to meet up with Garry and Lois Engelhard. Maybe some of you remember them from Wooster. They are up in BB for a few days. I also plan to head out to Grace Place to see who is around and hopefully pick up a phone! I have the number of a tuktuk driver we met last year, but no phone to call him to get a ride to GP to get the phone so I can call him. Hopefully I can borrow a phone from someone or ask someone to call Mr. Lim for me.  I hope he is still in the tuktuk business.  See what I mean about "a little nerve racking"?

Ok, well, I never take selfie, mostly because my kids make fun of them.  But I decided to take one anyway for you.  See, I look like those young people hiking around the globe. LOL

PS. I was able to give Sambo money to purchase school tables and chairs for his new school in Poi Pet thanks to a generous donor from our church.  He is very excited and plans to purchase them right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment