Monday, January 26, 2015

First Time Driving in Thailand

Ok, this will be my first time driving in Thailand.  Faa told me to take the truck back to my hotel and then meet them in the morning. Ok, no problem.  I've never driven on the left side of the road, but I've got this.  Well I thought I did.  Then I realized her truck is a stick shift and everything is on the opposite side (except the pedals - thank goodness the pedals weren't opposite. That would be too many opposites at one time for my brain to compute). Oh did I mention it is dark out?  The windows are so dark, I have to roll them down to be able to see out of them at night.  Ok, here we go. "Faa, where are the lights?" Ok, now ready. "Jeana, when the road turns up there by that big tree, make sure you don't get over too far. It's really steep.". Oh, ok, I will keep that in mind.

Here we go. Ok this isn't too hard to shift.  Of course I'm not even out of second gear.  Can't go any faster on this drive though.  There's the tree, AND THE DROPOFF! Oh, no problem.  Ok, here's the worst part, entering the main road on a hill.  At least I can check tragic by looking for lights. That's if everyone is using them. Wow, up on the road. That wasn't too bad.  Ok here we go. First gear, second, now third, whoops back into second.  I have no idea what gear I am in because there is no indication anywhere.  Not use to shifting with my left hand, oh and hey, haven't driven a stick shift in 18 years. Well I must have made it to 5th because I don't hear any gears grinding.

Going along.  Please, Lord, no cars.  It's weird seeing oncoming traffic coming toward your right side. Oh yeah, don't expect that oncoming traffic to necessarily be in their lane.  People really don't stay in lanes.  People now passing me on both sides.  Ok.

Made it into town.  Wonder what the speed limit is.  I hope 60 km/h is ok.  Hate to get stopped by the police.  Halfway through town. Oh, look, a speed limit sign. Or is that a road number sign. No, I think it is a speed limit sign and it says 60. Yeah! Oh, wait it just changed to 40, now to 35, now to 30. Bummer, I have to shift. Ok. now people are flying by me.  It must have changed again.  Ok made it to the next little town.  Hotel is the other side.  What's this? Oncoming traffic coming at me on both sides?  Am I on the correct side? Line check. Wheel closest to the center yellow line. Ok, right side, I mean left side, right!

Ok, where is that road now.  Really dark. Can't see those landmarks I memorized because of the dark.  Was that it? Can't read Thai signs. Wait, yes it is. Break. Wow that is touchy! Ok, that is the windshield wipers. Ob yeah, everything opposite. There's the turn signal. Ok, shift down.  Bummer, people behind me and people coming toward me.  Ok making a right hand turn from the left lane across tragic. Oh great, truck parked on my side of the road.  Going around him. No get back over.  Great, no lines. Hotel in sight.  Made it to parking lot!! Oh yeah. Have to leave it in gear. Not sure this thing has a parking break.  Hope I don't wake to find the truck in the kitchen in the morning.  Maybe I should come back in a few minutes and check on it. Roll up windows, get bag from other side of truck.  Well, I guess you have to close the doors before activating the remote locking devise.  Sorry if anyone was sleeping. Yippy, I made it. Hey that was kinda fun. Oh yeah, I have to do it again tomorrow with heavy traffic. No problem. I've got this. Thank you, Lord, for helping me!

2 comments:

  1. Adventure is your middle name!!! love you and thankful you had a good experience ...."good" as in you are ok :) hugs, Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might start calling you Super Adventure Woman or something. You're awesome, my friend. :) Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete