Sunday, March 26, 2017

Back in Thailand

Faa and I arrived safely in Thailand after 2 delays at the airport on Friday morning.  Zac arrived safely in the US and Nathan in Guatemala.  From his pictures, he's seeing some incredible places.

Well I'm not the only one missing Zac.  Everywhere I go, people are asking me where he is.  When I arrived at the GROW home yesterday, one little boy who seems to idolize Zac, wanted to know right away where he was.  I miss my traveling buddy , but I am so grateful for all the fun we had together here.

Last Thursday we visited Daughters of Cambodia to learn more about ministry in Cambodia.  Then we met Pheakdey, and she took us to her ministry called CODO. We met the director who was very gracious and shared with us many things about this ministry.  Thus man has many degrees, worked 15 years for World Vision and then felt that God was asking him to leave all of that to work in a small organization where he could work directly with the people in need.  We were very impressed with this man's heart to obey God and to serve the children in their poor communities.  They offer day care for those who can't afford it so the parents can work.  They also offer classes for the parents to help them.  They work with the schools and communities to encourage them to help their neighbors.  I think we can learn a lot from this organization, and it spawned all sorts of ideas in Faa and me for GROW.

Since we had two days full of meetings and it was Zac's last day, we want to do something fun with him.  We saw on our tuk tuk (sort of a taxi) a tourists ad for a place where you could fire a rocket launcher.  So, yes we took a 30 minute tuk tuk ride, got into an SUV and drove maybe 1 1/2 hours to the mountains.  I joked by asking if we were still in Cambodia.  As we drove into the compound where we would shoot, we began to wonder if this was a good idea.  Then we saw the collection of highly illegal in the US weapons and really began to question our decision.  But the prepared and loaded a rocket launcher and called me to fire it first.  Ok, I had no idea of what to expect.  So I just pulled the trigger when he said, "three". Zac said it was like watching a movie, very surreal. I was surprised at how easy it launched.  I have no idea how far from the mountain we were, quite a distance, but it went all the way to the mountain.  Then it was Zac's turn.  Yep, it was just like watching a movie except we were the ones in it.  Zac's rocket actually went over the mountain. Then it was Faa's turn,  She fired a grenade launcher.  After a few misfires, she launched the grenade toward the mountain.  Nothing, nothing, nothing, we turned off the camera, then the explosion.  Lol  I couldn't believe how long it took to reach its destination, but then it exploded on the side of the mountain.  I have video of her firing it, it threw her backward, but she stayed on her feet.

After that adrenaline rush, we had the long ride back to the tuk tuk, back into town and to the cafe we had a meeting at the day before to purchase another mango smoothie, the best one I've ever tasted in my 13 trips here!!!! This was at Zac's request, but Faa and I didn't complain.:) We took them to go, rushed back to the hotel so Zac could shower and get to the airport.  We said our goodbyes and put him on a plane.

When Faa and  landed in CM, Thailand, Brenden Miller picked us up from the airport and took us to their home for dinner.  We got to see little Jude! Becca was pregnant last year when Bria and I were here.  We had a great visit which included a "night walk" with their daughter, Maya, Just she and I though, nobody else was allowed to go.  It basically consisted of walking around their house with my phone flashlight.  It was something she always wanted to do.  Maya was so much fun that night. She reminds me of myself,talk talk talk talk. She told me lots of secrets, like all the games we could play, and planned our next visit to be an overnight where she and I would stay up and watch a movie without her parents.  That night, Faa and I stayed in town.

Yesterday Zach, Tutu's son, picked us up.  I asked that he talk me to one store that's at the night market but open during the day.  Faa and I walked up and down the street trying to find it.  The street looks very different in the day without all of the stands set up.  We couldn't  recognize the store. So we were standing in front of one place trying to decide what to do when we looked in the store in front of us and realized this was the place.  They had changed the merchandise in the front of the store so we didn't recognize it.  When we saw the stairs leading up to the 2nd floor, we realized this was it.  What I was looking for was on the 2nd floor.  SO I was able to purchase some really neat pants and dresses and tops which I will bring back for GROW.

Faa stayed in town for a couple of doctor appointments she had while Zach took me to Tutu's.  Jerry Christensen arrived with Tutu shortly afterward.  We had a chance to talk about his time in Thailand and other things.  It was good to see him.  Jim Rhea is also here, but I haven't seen him yet.  We've communicated on FB, but our paths haven't crossed yet.

Last night we went tp the hospital to see Daniel and Nan's baby.  He was born the day before.  This is another one of Tutu's sons.  He is so adorable.  About 11 pm though there was a fire at the hospital I think in a refrigerator. They had to go home because of the smoke and return the next morning to be officially discharged.

Sunday morning we worshiped at an Asia's Hope church in Doi Saket.  Since a lot of the children are back in their villages visiting family over the break, Tutu had us participate in the special music.  So, we practiced after breakfast and preformed an hour later.

After lunch, Faa's brother picket Faa then me up, and we headed back to WPP.  We all got dressed up and had a celebration for the 6th graders who just graduated.  We also celebrated birthdays for March and April and had a farewell party for our house parents, Bee and Nueng, who are going on to their calling as a pastor. We ended the evening by playing a game with the balloons and the string of flags strung between the buildings.

Today Faa and I head up to Doi Chang with Pat to see how Albonzo Coffee is doing and to purchase coffee for any of you who wish to buy it from GROW.

Thanks again for all of your prayers. We visited a staff family from Asia's Hope who were just in a motorcycle accident this week.  Their two year old has scrapes all over his face and a dislocated arm.  The wife has a fracture in her cheek and the husband had to have surgery for his fracture in his face.  They are recovering and praising God that it wasn't any worse.  Prayers for safety are really important here.  Again, I thank all who are praying.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing and we are praying for you and Faa and your travels.

    ReplyDelete