Thursday, March 16, 2017

After three seemingly endless flights, we arrived safely in Thailand. We landed at approximately 11:00 pm and were greeted by Tutu’s son David. In celebration of my (Zac) birthday, David treated us with a trip to an authentic Thai restaurant called McDonald’s. We then arrived at Tutu’s place at midnight where we were welcomed with a warm embrace.
After a short night of rest, we attended church at Asia’s Hope homes in Doi Saket. After the service had concluded, we spent a few minutes socializing. My role as a tree was quickly established when children rapidly began climbing on me and lifting themselves up on my arms. As tiresome as this role may be, it brings me so much joy watching their faces light up as I lift them into the air or spin them around. Their smiles are so lively and infectious.
Afterwards, we ate lunch and then prepared ourselves for the drive up to Wiang Pa Pao where the Grace Place and G.R.O.W. homes are located. I was in awe when I noticed how much the kids have grown up since the last time I saw them. Many of them can hardly be classified as kids anymore. With the Grace Place children, we played a lot of badminton. My entire right side is still sore from the hours that we played. We then concluded our time at Grace Place and went to the G.R.O.W. home where we are spending the next several nights.
While I stay at the G.R.O.W. home, my mom (Jeana) is traveling back to Chiang Mai with Faa and Ning for a couple days. Staying by myself in a different part of the country is an abrupt yet exciting start to my adult life. I am spending so much time with the kids and having so much fun. On Monday, I attempted to teach several of the kids how to play the drums and the guitar. This was quite the challenge considering the differing languages. Nonetheless, the kids were fast learners and seemed to enjoy themselves. In fact, as I type this right now, I hear one of the boys practicing one of the drum beats I taught him the day before. Their desire to learn music makes me feel right at home.
Later that day, the other children returned from school and started a game of soccer. This made a great day even better. I had so much fun playing against the kids and the staff. Afterwards, dinner was generously prepared for me. To my delight, one of my favorite dishes was made: mango sticky rice. If it was possible for me to gain weight, I would have definitely already added five pounds. My trip thus far has definitely been incredible.
While Zac was having fun with the kids, I (Jeana) went to CM with Faa, Ning and JJ.  Ning and Faa both had dr. appointments two of the days we were there.  We also did a lot of shopping for G.R.O.W. I’ll post some pictures later of items I am bringing home. I had the opportunity to see the young lady who interned at G.R.O.W. last year.  Maria #2 is what they called her.  She now owns a massage parlor and is using it to reach people for Christ.  She is developing a great ministry.  Yes, of course, she gave me a massage.  I also visited briefly with Beam.  If you remember, Beam is Faa’s cousin who worked for G.R.O.W. for several years.  She left to continue pursuing her education in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago.

Back in WPP, Zac and I went over to Grace Place to play with the kids there for a little while.  We pulled out a coloring activity thanks to a friend who sent them along!  The kids enjoyed that. Then we unwrapped the parachute we brought.  Zac and I taught the kids all variations of things to do with a parachute and a ball.  The kids laughed and laughed, and we all had so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment